Re: [Lingo] Grizzles (Was: Re: jgram.org - Japanese grammar database)

On 05/09/06, Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:

Hrrm, that was pretty tortured syntax--sigh, and I'm a native English
speaker.  (Godwin, don't bother replying that no I'm not, I'm an
American---these UK people and their sense of superiority.)  :)

Which reminds me, of course, of a snatch of one of my favourite songs in "My Fair Lady"[1], "Why Can't the English... Speak?"[2]:

One common language I'm afraid we'll never get.
Oh, why can't the English learn to set
A good example to people whose
English is painful to your ears?
The Scotch and the Irish leave you close to tears.
There even are places where English completely
disappears. In America, they haven't used it for years!

-Josh

[1] http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058385/
[2] http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/myfairlady/whycanttheenglish.htm