Re: tlug: Beginner Q: rpm's and xemacs

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>Try the TL version.  You need the TL-J version because Scott left out
>Mule in the US version.  No promises on that one because of
>libc5/glibc confusion, unfortunately.  It might work.
>
>ftp.pht.co.jp:
>/pub/turbolinuxj/2.0/TurboLinux/RPMS/xemacs-20.4-3TL.i386.rpm

Agh! 20Mb. It was to avoid big downloads that I bought a 6 CD set. Oh well.
Shouganai kana.

There is also something called xemacs-static-20... there, but as it is only
2.5Mb I guess it doesn't mean statically linked?

Right, I downloaded that, and did the same "rpm -i xemacs...rpm" command,
but it gives me the same two requirements, and now adds a third one:
  libcanna.so1.3

Is this the libc5/glibc confusion you mentioned? RedHat uses glibc, and I
thought Turbo Linux was as well.

Matt Gushee wrote:
>distribution, I *always* build it from an SRPM (if not from a tar
>archive). If you haven't built an SRPM before, it's usually quite easy

The S stands for source?

What exactly is an RPM? Is it (in windows terms) like a zip file of the
precompiled binary version, where the "rpm -i" command does the unzip,
double-clicks setup.exe and also decides the path to install it in for you?
That was the assumption I was working under.

I found an SRPM directory on the same CD, but no xemacs in there.

>Building XEmacs from source is usually much easier than you might
>expect -- and if you have a Pentium w/ plenty of RAM, doesn't take
>much time either. The main problem is finding enough disk space. Of

Building from source I've generally found to be easy. Type configure, then
type make. Then run it. :-).

But, I still have a couple of questions:

1.If I build from source, won't it still complain the .so files are missing
when I try to run it?

2.Why would a source .tar.gz take more disk space than a precompiled
version? Or is this something about xemacs that I've yet to discover. Gulp.

Darren