tlug: Beginner Q: rpm's and xemacs

I want to install Xemacs on my Linux system, so on one of the CD's I bought
I found xemacs-20.4-1.i386.rpm (in the redhat/contrib/i386 directory).

I did man rpm, and then tried:
  rpm -i xemacs-20.4-1.i386.rpm
(as root; as a normal user it gave me an error).

I got two dependency errors:
  libpng.so.0
  libncurses.so.3.0

"ls lib*" in the same directory found something called libpng, so I did:
  rpm -i libpng-1.0.2-1.i386.rpm

This gave no errors. To see if it had helped, I tried the rpm -i xemacs...
command, but still get the same two errors. Also, I can't find anything
called libncurses.

Am I, er, what do I, er... well, in summary, "Help!".

Darren