tlug: Beginner Q: rpm's and xemacs

    Matt> Stephen J. Turnbull writes:

    >> Blow off the Redhat contrib directory, _especially_ that RPM.
    >> )It's poison.

    Matt> However, I've had a lot of trouble with the *binary*
    Matt> packages, so I've made a policy that if it isn't in the main
    Matt> distribution, I *always* build it from an SRPM (if not from
    Matt> a tar archive).

Thanks for the clarification, that's what I really meant to say (with
the qualification that I've had problems with SRPMS too.  Namely X11R6
and FSF Emacs---but they're so bloody huge and complex that that's not
surprising given a customized and poorly supported at that time
system, Sparc).  I didn't realize that normally SRPMs were just a more
time-consuming way to get a binary RPM (and likely to actually work ;-).

    Matt> I wonder if you really want an RPM of XEmacs anyway. From
    Matt> what Steve said, I would guess that the TL-J RPM is
    Matt> statically linked. Which probably means sluggish, real
    Matt> sluggish -- especially with MULE.

No, it's not.  That's why there are problems with libc5/glibc
contention.  There's no need for a static binary to be sluggish,
except that of course you start swapping earlier.  However for many
people large parts of XEmacs get swapped out and never get swapped
back in; depends on your usage pattern.

It does start up slower, but Emacs is supposed to be started in
/etc/rc.d/rc.local anyway :-P  (that is, you needn't stop an emacs once
it's started).