tlug: Reading Japanese news with Western tin

I read news with tin on my ISP's Solaris, and I would like to see Japanese
text correctly. The problem is, that tin seemingly breaks the ESC code to
circumflex + square bracket, and I cannot get my nkf convert it neatly
into my kterm window. Yeah, nkf -B works but it leaves the ^ + [ there,
making the JIS sequences look funny.

I cannot do anything about the tin on the server, so could someone suggest
a command-line / perl script / whatever to pipe the tin output through?
Preferably something that reassembles the broken ESC codes back to proper
ones (and, preferably, with unbuffered output), so that I could let nkf
handle the rest.

--
Tapio Peltonen <tappel@example.com>