Re: GUIs: Motif or ...? (was Re: tlug: Fw: Could Linux Kill NT?)

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>yesterday ... frames is questionable.  But most people only work on
>one image at a time I bet.  I like xv's interface, right click and you

Not me.  I commonly have several open at a time, and may be copying
parts between them in some cases.  I really find the GIMP approach to
be, well, gimpy :-)

>see the "toolbar", right click again and you don't.  I wish it would
>pop up under the pointer, but doesn't always.  I especially wish the

I hate that, too.  Maybe more than GIMP :-)

>I really detest the MS Word type of interface where the app hogs the
>whole screen just to display its toolbar.  WingZ is ugly that way too,

You can make Word pretty small and still have the toolbar. Ditto for
Paintshop Pro. I usually run it full-screen because I have several
images open and want to be able to see them all at the same time, but
you can make it as small as you want.

>This is also almost surely not the GIMP's fault.  This is ASS's (too
>many S's, but you know which mutant child of fvwm I mean) or the

:-)  Which window manager do you like, and why do you like it?

>I don't use the GIMP.)  Set focus policy to focus-follows-mouse, then

I don't like either, since I usually park the mouse somewhere out of the
window when I'm not actually using it.  I like click-to-focus, although
I don't like how long that takes in AS compared to that other OS.

>you should get the "right" results.  Autoraise with a 300ms lag is a
>good idea too (why TurboDesk doesn't have it I cannot figure out,
>after a month of living with it on the notebook).

Gee, I hadn't notice it wasn't there.  Guess I've taken to directly
editing .rc files lately :-)

Cheers,

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section