Re: GUIs: Motif or ...? (was Re: tlug: Fw: Could Linux Kill NT?)

    jb> On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Scott Stone wrote:
    >> Paint shop pro does this, too.  It just creates a huge
    >> background window which really isn't used for anything except
    >> to provide the illusion that the toolbar is in the same window
    >> as the image.. :)

Haven't used Paint Shop Pro, but I really prefer the floating toolbar
to the attached kind for most purposes.  XEmacs is an exception; the
semantics of sharing a single toolbar among 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7,
... hmm, not many today, must have built and started a new XEmacs
yesterday ... frames is questionable.  But most people only work on
one image at a time I bet.  I like xv's interface, right click and you
see the "toolbar", right click again and you don't.  I wish it would
pop up under the pointer, but doesn't always.  I especially wish the
delete window would pop up with the pointer on `delete-from-list' but
c'est la vie.

I really detest the MS Word type of interface where the app hogs the
whole screen just to display its toolbar.  WingZ is ugly that way too,
even though it _does_ have a floating toolbar.

    jb> It doesn't make you click once on the tool bar just to get its
    jb> attention, then click again to do what you want, then click
    jb> the image again to get it's attention, then click where you
    jb> want to modify it.  That is a MAJOR pain in the butt.  The

This is also almost surely not the GIMP's fault.  This is ASS's (too
many S's, but you know which mutant child of fvwm I mean) or the
distribution integrator's fault.  (I don't know fvwm2 would do better,
I don't use the GIMP.)  Set focus policy to focus-follows-mouse, then
you should get the "right" results.  Autoraise with a 300ms lag is a
good idea too (why TurboDesk doesn't have it I cannot figure out,
after a month of living with it on the notebook).

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091
featuring Linux on multiple platforms: