Re: GUIs: Motif or ...? (was Re: tlug: Fw: Could Linux Kill NT?)

Jonathan Byrne - 3Web wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Matt Gushee wrote:

> About a week ago.  It's better than it was, but still not good.  I don't
> think it has anything on Photoshop, and Paintshop Pro pretty much wipes
> the floor with it.   Besides supporting Windows users and needing a live
> model handy, needing a decent graphics tool is one of the other things
> that keeps me using Windows a lot.  And who's the genius who thought up
> the idea that GIMP should have it's tool bar in a completely different
> window than the image being manipulated?  Somehow, I find the name GIMP
> to be rather appropriate.  But it is making progress.  I used to
> completely hate GIMP and thought it was worthless (it was).  Now it's
> improved to the point where I just don't like it and think it has a lot
> of catching up to do.  But it probably won't catch up, 'cuz I think FSF
> designs software from the standpoint of trying to make it perversely
> different than any commercial software :-)

PSP is just a patched image converter with a batch command. JASC is
constantly trying to catch up with the professional software like
Photoshop. When it comes to batch conversion use DeBabelizer which kicks
on any image conversion/batch tool out there and leaves PSP in the dust.

The Gimp BTW is a fine image editor, a raw diamond, not there yet but
close. You can work on a different image while you apply a filter to
another one (forget that in the windoze world), which justifies the
concept of right clicking inside the image window. You can write your
own scripts to automate your work (this alone is a killer). Multiple
Undos and tons of other features.

>From my point of view Gimp is kind of similar to Photoshop in usability.
Photoshop is "The Standard" when it comes to image editing. If you,
Jonathan, tell us you can't use Gimp because it the interface bothers
you then you never seriously worked with Photoshop (I assume you used
Photoshop because you compare to Gimp).

I use Gimp for my images I create at home, usually for use in home
pages. Though it does color shifting when indexing pictures (no good if
you have to match an existing gif), I still prefer to work in Linux then
bothering to reboot just to use a windoze program.

BTW Jonathan do you have some pics on the web so we can visualize "I
need PSP for images".

urs

u r s  r o e s c h             h a c h i o j i,  t o k y o
e# urs@example.com                   aim# uru uru 71
w# http://www.digital-mines.com              icq# 13780972
featuring Linux on multiple platforms: