Re: tlug: cgiwrap -some suggestions

Jim,
I think we can also just specify the individual home directories,
such as the directory for the /home/tpj-jp/public_html or
/home/urs/public_html and have it look for extensions with
.cgi.   If we trust the people using the tpj-jp directory,
we don't really need cgiwrap.    It might be good for
the general membership.

Urs might want to get access to the cgi stuff this weekend.

Regards,
Craig

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Jim Schweizer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Nathan Neulinger, the author of CGIwrap, was kind enough to
> offer some suggestions:
>
> >> If I call a script with:
> >> http://tlug.pht.co.jp/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/jims/test.pl
> >> then I get
> >> CGIwrap Error: Real UID could not be changed!
>
> >This is a configuration error when you built cgiwrap. Get
> >version 3.6 from the ftp site, it doesn't have this problem.
> >(You can fix it with 3.5, but it's easier to just grab 3.6.)
>
> I shall grab 3.6 sometime this weekend and compile a new one.
>
> >> from /var/log/httpd/error_log:
> >> [Fri Mar 27 19:13:28 1998] access to
> >> /home/httpd/cgi-bin/cgiwrapd/ failed for 210.167.65.8, reason:
> >> Symbolic link not allowed
> >>
> >> Is this an indication of an Apache misconfiguration?
>
> >Yes. It's saying that you did not allow symlinks. You need to
> >turn that option off or not access cgiwrap through a symlink.
>
> Guess I'd better go back and reread the Apache conf files. I
> must have missed this somewhere.
>
> Thanks Nathan. I think CGIwrap is an excellent program!
>
> Regards,
>
> Jim S.
> Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April Sat, Tokyo Station Yaesu gate 12:30
> Featuring Tague Griffith of Netscape i18n talking on source code
> a word from the sponsor:
> TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System
> www.twics.com  info@example.com  Tel:03-3351-5977  Fax:03-3353-6096

----
temporary:  craigoda@example.com       http://tlug.pht.co.jp/~craig
soon to be:  craigoda@example.com