Re: [tlug] From an enthusiast TLUG follower

On 29/8/2020 11:00 pm, Curt J. Sampson wrote:
On 2020-08-28 13:50 +0800 (Fri), Raymond Wan wrote:
The land border between Canada and the USA is the "longest undefended
land border in the world" and that has been effectively closed.  For me,
closing that was a bigger surprise that whatever Japan is doing.
Why? If you've been doing an at least somewhat reasonable job of
controlling the pandemic in your own country, and your neighbours have not,
why on earth would you not close your border?

Oh...I do agree with the closure of the border. After all, if the roles were reversed, I'm sure the USA wouldn't hesitate closing it, regardless of whoever is the president. And they should not.

But that border is fairly hard to "close". There are long stretches where there is no immigration officers or police from either side of the border. A while ago, I read an article that said there are roads from one to the other where the only deterrent is a small pylon. The border patrol that was interviewed for that story (I forgot from which country) said that the "nice" people would move the pylon back after they passed through. :-P

Of course, such crossings are in remote areas of the two countries.

Hopefully when this wave ends, we learn from the experience and figure
out ways to avoid this from happening.
It's a nice hope, but before COVID-19 this experience had _already been
had_, and some countries _had_ learned from it. Why would a country that
didn't learn from the last one, or the one before that, suddenly change?

Yes well, technically speaking, China and Hong Kong experienced covid-19 first. (We're coming to the end of our third wave; and it was far worse than the first two waves.) That should have been a warning to everyone else. But things didn't turn out better for other countries.

Before this third wave, locals here were amazed at how places like Europe and the USA couldn't control it. And then the third wave hit us (which is still not as bad as many places).

So, yes, no one learns from this... I hear of actors, lawyers, business people, etc. ultimately becoming politicians. I rarely hear of scientists or engineers becoming politicians; I think that's what we need...

Ray

Home | Main Index | Thread Index