Re: [tlug] From an enthusiast TLUG follower

On 2020-08-29 23:42 +0800 (Sat), Raymond Wan wrote:

> But that [Canada-U.S.] border is fairly hard to "close".

Sure. But the border is never fully "closed"; crossing it is just
restricted to some degree or another. At the moment t's a lot more
restricted than usual, and that's helpful. In the same way, wearing a mask
is never a perfect way of stopping a virus, and depending on the mask is
more or less effective in either direction. But doing better is a great
help, even if it's not perfect.

> > It's a nice hope, but before COVID-19 this experience had _already been
> > had_, and some countries _had_ learned from it. Why would a country that
> > didn't learn from the last one, or the one before that, suddenly change?
>
> Yes well, technically speaking, China and Hong Kong experienced covid-19
> first.

Actually, I was talking about the U.S. experience with previous viruses.
Stephen put it well:

> Bush learned from the SARS outbreak and left a playbook for future
> outbreaks, Obama improved it after Ebola and MERS, the bureaucrats were
> all set to implement in February 2020, and Trump said "Don't...."

cjs
--
Curt J. Sampson      <cjs@example.com>      +81 90 7737 2974

To iterate is human, to recurse divine.