Re: [tlug] From an enthusiast TLUG follower

On 2020-08-28 14:47 +0900 (Fri), Stuart Luppescu wrote:

> On the day I was refused entry, I was the only person forced to take
> the next plane out. There were a lot of other people from other
> countries who were let right in. They appeared to be from South Asia
> and Southeast Asia. That's the opposite of white privilege.

It is indeed! It's "lack of white privilege," and definitely a big
complaint from certain types of folks.

Sad that they actually determine who to let in by examining how successful
the origin country has been at controlling COVID-19, rather than by the
colour of their skin.

On 2020-08-28 13:50 +0800 (Fri), Raymond Wan wrote:

> The land border between Canada and the USA is the "longest undefended
> land border in the world" and that has been effectively closed.  For me,
> closing that was a bigger surprise that whatever Japan is doing.

Why? If you've been doing an at least somewhat reasonable job of
controlling the pandemic in your own country, and your neighbours have not,
why on earth would you not close your border?

> Hopefully when this wave ends, we learn from the experience and figure
> out ways to avoid this from happening.

It's a nice hope, but before COVID-19 this experience had _already been
had_, and some countries _had_ learned from it. Why would a country that
didn't learn from the last one, or the one before that, suddenly change?

cjs
--
Curt J. Sampson      <cjs@example.com>      +81 90 7737 2974

To iterate is human, to recurse divine.