Re: [tlug] Calibre

On 2020-08-28 14:46 +0900 (Fri), Chris wrote:

> Depends on the person.  Kovid's unwarranted arrogance about his coding
> prowess doesn't give me warm fuzzies about the quality of the rest of the
> codebase, so I don't run Calibre.

To me he didn't come across as arrogant about his coding prowress; he came
across as simply not understanding security design in a way that most of
the world shares. (I've had similar "Well, I fixed that bug so it must be
ok now" attitudes from people whose full-time job is IT security, so this
is definitely not a case of, "he's just way behind what competent
developers commonly know.")

That, combined with his (not entirely unadmirable) attitude that he wants
the end user to have things in pretty much every case Just Work without
them having to go find out more about how their OS works, was the cause of
the problem. And eventually he came around and was convinced that it's
better certain things break a lot more often than work but open up those
security problems, so he got rid of the problematic program.

This is a far better result than I've seen in many cases.

cjs
--
Curt J. Sampson      <cjs@example.com>      +81 90 7737 2974

To iterate is human, to recurse divine.