Re: [tlug] Chrome ate my profile

Jens John writes:

 > I hope you didn't lose any stored (and forgotten) passwords

Stored yes, forgotten, no.

 > I can only recommend to include browser profiles into whatever backup
 > routine you have.

That doesn't help me, for two reasons.  (1) Yes, I had stuff in OneTab
and history from before Trump started running for President (this
time, not 1999).  But that's not where I look for that stuff.  As I
wrote, I have other databases for that.  I mostly want stuff that's
only a few days old, often only hours old.  I don't backup that often.

(2) The bigger problem (according the StackExchange threads or
whatever I was reading) is that once Chrome decides the backed-up
database is somehow inconsistent (and this is just a checksum or
something like that, not an attempt to recover as much as possible) it
refuses to load it, and overwrites the backing store!  There is no
attempt to recover the database.  So this is a massive effort for
little payoff (see (1)).  I don't *know* this is true, but it was
consistent with my experience (including the timestamps on various
files).

Steve