[tlug] Chrome ate my profile

Danger, Will Robinson! Dnager! Danger! Danger!

I'm unclear on the precise circumstances, but sometime in the last 72
hours Chrome managed to delete all my history, all my bookmarks, and
everything I had save in OneTab.  I believe there was an upgrade in
the meantime.  It may all be out there in the cloud, but I don't
recall that I set things up to backup to the cloud, so....

A bit of Googling suggests that this is a common experience, that
Chrome does not keep backups, definitely not in any form that you can
read (which I take with a grain of salt since Chromium is open
source).

OneTab sucks even worse, apparently.  It's easy enough to backup by
saving the page, but really, one shouldn't have to.

So be aware there's a warning out on all that.

If I learn different about recovery, I'll let you know.  The URLs I
really care about I do save elsewhere (or they're somewhere in my mail
archives), so I'm probably not going to try too hard.

In the meantime, I've deleted Chrome and am going back to Firefox for
now.

Steve

--
Associate Professor              Division of Policy and Planning Science
http://turnbull/sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/     Faculty of Systems and Information