Re: [tlug] Continuous Integration

On 12 May 2016 at 18:29, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
On 2016-05-12 17:52 +0900 (Thu), Benjamin Kowarsch wrote:

> Imagine you are doing a major piece of work that will require several weeks
> of effort before it is in a state where it can be tested. You still want to
> be able to commit while you are doing this work, even if you cannot really
> test it yet.

Oh, well, that's true enough (I do this all the time myself), but then
that's something you explicitly don't want a Jenkins-like-thing to be
testing (that would waste both computer and developer time).

I was simply responding to the statement "I strongly disapprove of people who commit (or, at any rate, push commits) without having done appropriate testing first."

I was, of course, talking about the stage at which you're "publishing"
changes to others.

Well, in a sense you are "publishing" changes to others even when you commit to a private branch. Most will probably never look at your private branch, but it is public.

Hence my comment "it depends on what branch you are committing to". But never mind, I do agree that the main branch should not be poisoned with untested code.