We've added a TO DO statement into the compiler which requires at the very least a string that describes a TO DO task, but optionally other parameters such as a ticketing system reference, severity level and estimated time of effort. A TO DO statement can have one or more such TO DO entries.

The compiler then prints out a summary of all the TO DO tasks and if estimates are given they are added up and totalled in the summary. Alternatively, an external reporting tool could be run on each commit and also commit the report for each version. This way the VCS will contain the history of technical debt.

If a ticket number is given, the commit could be integrated with the ticketing system to update the ticket but that's still up in the air at this stage.

On 12 May 2016 at 18:58, Benjamin Kowarsch <trijezdci@example.com> wrote:
On 12 May 2016 at 18:29, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
On 2016-05-12 17:52 +0900 (Thu), Benjamin Kowarsch wrote:

> Imagine you are doing a major piece of work that will require several weeks
> of effort before it is in a state where it can be tested. You still want to
> be able to commit while you are doing this work, even if you cannot really
> test it yet.

Oh, well, that's true enough (I do this all the time myself), but then
that's something you explicitly don't want a Jenkins-like-thing to be
testing (that would waste both computer and developer time).

I was simply responding to the statement "I strongly disapprove of people who commit (or, at any rate, push commits) without having done appropriate testing first."

I was, of course, talking about the stage at which you're "publishing"
changes to others.

Well, in a sense you are "publishing" changes to others even when you commit to a private branch. Most will probably never look at your private branch, but it is public.

Hence my comment "it depends on what branch you are committing to". But never mind, I do agree that the main branch should not be poisoned with untested code.