Re: [tlug] Google Apps for Work

On 12 May 2016 at 08:56, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:

> On 2016-05-12 08:05 +0200 (Thu), Christian Horn wrote:
>
>> I just imagined someone running automated build and functionality
>> tests upon each commit.
>
> By that point it's too late. I strongly disapprove of people who commit
> (or, at any rate, push commits) without having done appropriate testing
> first.

Yes, but... ;)

There's no reason not to run automated unit tests during the build
process *in addition to* running them as pre-commit or pre-push hooks.

What we do on my current team is:

1. Encourage running unit tests locally before every commit
2. Encourage running integration tests locally before pushing to origin
3. Enforce running unit tests locally before pushing to origin
4. Automatically build (with Jenkins) every time there is a change to
any origin branch, which runs both unit and integration tests
5. Automatically build (with Jenkins) every time there is a change to
origin/master, which runs tests, builds, deploys to the integration
environment, and runs the integration tests against the integration
environment

We are not yet continuously deploying to production, but that's the end goal.

Having just rubber-ducked this, I realise that we should probably run
the integration tests locally in our pre-push hook as well. So thanks,
TLUG! ;)

Cheers,
Josh