Re: [tlug] Install languages

Thomas Blasejewicz writes:

 >   language-pack-gnome-ja-base : Depends: language-pack-gnome-ja (>=
 > 1:14.04+20140410) but it is not going to be installed
 >   language-pack-ja-base : Depends: language-pack-ja (>=
 > 1:14.04+20140410) but it is not going to be installed

Bingo!

 > This is not a DIFFERENT package.

Yes, it is.  The dependency is *reversed*.

Try

    sudo apt-get install language-pack-ja-base language-pack-ja
    sudo apt-get install language-pack-gnome-ja-base language-pack-gnome-ja

NOTE: apt-get is a low-level, stupid application.  It does what it is
told to do, and expects you to know what to do if it gets blocked.
aptitude or synaptic should be smart enough to handle the reversed
dependencies.

If that doesn't work, most likely it will complain that the language
packs don't exist at the source site.  (This is based on Naruhiko
Ogasawara's message.)  Then try

    sudo apt-get install language-pack-ja-base=1:14.04+20140410 language-pack-ja=1:14.04+20140410

and the same for the GNOME version.

 > sudo apt-get install language-pack-gnome-jp language-pack-gnome-jp

Did I type ...-jp?  It should be ...-ja.  "JP" is the country, "JA" is
the language (different from "DE" Germany and "DE" German" for reasons
I don't understand, maybe as a country "JA" is Jamaica or something?)

 > And this finally:
 > dpkg -s language-pack{-gnome,}-ja{-base,}
 > dpkg-query: package 'language-pack-gnome-ja-base' is not installed and
 > no information is available [etc, etc, for 3 more packages]
 >
 > I could not make these last two commands work.

No, the last command worked as expected.  The packages aren't broken,
they're just not installed.  I think that the commands installing a
language pack base and the language pack at the same time should do
the trick.

 > LibreOffice - after removing and then reinstalling it, the problem(s)
 > seem to be gone (hopefully).

Maybe you don't want to mess with the language-pack-ja stuff then,
until you need to.