Re: [tlug] Install languages

Hi Thomas,

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 4:57 PM, Thomas Blasejewicz <nyuwa@example.com> wrote:
> Someone on the Japanese Ubuntu list just happened to mention something
> similar and I tried the command given there:
>
> sudo apt-get install language-pack-gnome-ja language-pack-ja
> [sudo] password for thomas:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.

>   language-pack-gnome-ja : Depends: language-pack-gnome-ja-base (>=
> 1:14.04+20150804) but it is not going to be installed
>   language-pack-ja : Depends: language-pack-ja-base (>=
> 1:14.04+20150804) but it is not going to be installed

I don't know the technical answer since I've always been too lazy to
dig too deep.  But within Ubuntu/Debian's package management system,
it probably says what package depends on what other package(s).  i.e.,
you need to install A before you install B.

Sometimes, it might be wrong or your system might be in a state that
creates some dependency problem that the developers didn't think of.

If you try to install A but it says B is required first, then just try
installing B.

sudo apt-get install language-pack-gnome-ja-base language-pack-ja-base

I've had problems (a few Ubuntu/Debian versions ago) where a message
likes that came during some software uninstallation.  So, I actually
installed B to make it happy and then uninstalled A and B right after.
I don't know the reason for this...

Ray