Re: [tlug] Providers ratings

On 2014-11-23 15:39 +0900 (Sun), Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> I've come to the end of the contract with Asahi.NET, and while I was very
> happy with them over the course of the past few years, I wonder if there's
> something "better" out there.
>
> Does anyone have pointers with regards to actual bandwidth and latency for
> providers over here in Japan, and especially data regarding international
> peering and whatnot?

I've sort of casually checked out Asahi-net's peering via traceroute,
and they're pretty decent, especially given the price. They run a lot
of stuff over NTT, which is one of the better backbones to be on when
coming out of Japan.

If you're doing business stuff, and need a lot of IP addresses, I
recommend nterlink.or.jp because they do a package for about 7,000 yen
per month (not including local loop connectivity) and give you 8 IPs.
Their connectivity has been satisfactory for my small server needs.

For anything less than that, I've never found it worthwhile to check out
anything beyond Asahi because, as well as being very cheap ($5/month for
basic connectivity, $10 for a static IP) they provide English support
(important to me at least) and are decent enough in terms of home-use
bandwidth an latency (speaking as a gamer, even) that it's not worth the
work to find some small improvement.

I think Asahi-net is also providing some sort of support to TLUG as well.

BTW, I run both of the above services on my mansion fibre connection,
mainly so I have some sort of backup if I screw up one of my ISPs.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson         <cjs@example.com>         +81 90 7737 2974

To iterate is human, to recurse divine.