Re: [tlug] Laser printer for Linux

Benjamin Tayehanpour writes:
 > On Fri, 21 Nov 2014 14:19:05 +0100
 > Bruno Raoult <braoult@example.com> wrote:
 >
 > > I would personally choose Epson, for the exact first reason (I
 > > always had Epson, and always had "excellent results" with them
 > > :-) This is not an objective reason, I know, having not tried
 > > other makers with bad results...
 >
 > Interesting! I've had the exact opposite experience with Epson
 > gear. Seems that Epson might be a bit of a mixed bag, then. Or it
 > might be a regional thing. Which models have you been having luck
 > with?

I'm currently using Epson, but their free Linux drivers are crap code
and you often cannot access the advanced features of your printer from
them.

Canon is worse in my experience; they rarely have free drivers and
their Linux drivers are clearly poorer quality than their Windows and
Mac code.

I've had good luck with the occasional model of both manufacturers,
but I don't trust them.

OTOH, HPLIP is good code, actively maintained, and I've been very
happy.  However, I've only had one that one HP in the last 10 years.