Re: [tlug] What's with this anti-Apple tirade? [was: 2014-05-10 Linux Quiz]

On 2014年05月14日 15:01, Jim Breen wrote:
On 14 May 2014 15:07, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:

...  That's
where it's really hard to get around Microsoft lock-in.

There were, of course, howls of outrage from the LaTeX brigade
in Engineering, Science and IT. The bureaucracy backed down and
said that PDFs were OK too, but added a warning that for PDFs they
wanted an extra proof-reading as "symbols may not convert properly".
No-one knows quite what they meant by this, as if there are conversion
problems with PDFs, they are more likely to be with Word than anything
else.

Had some issues with some peoples PDFs a few years ago. They used an odd font and they were not embedded so I got sections of the paper out in mojibake. In that case it was user error and my colleagues applied the cluebat to him for it.

:-P