Re: [tlug] l10n and icons: good example?

On 6 March 2014 07:50, Christian Horn <chorn@example.com> wrote:
> A colleague in .se was not able to confirm, maybe its a local
> thing.

It's possible, but not very probable. Ask your colleague to remember
the exams in school. Correct answers got an "R", and wrong answers got
a "✓". I suppose it could also be a generational thing, but,
seriously, the word for ✓ in Swedish is "bock". "Bock" is a synonym
for mistake, blunder, mistake, demerit. [1][2][3]

[1] http://www.synonymer.se/?query=bock
[2] http://folkets-lexikon.csc.kth.se/folkets/#lookup&bock&0 (Example
in entry #4, "Exempel: en röd bock i kanten (a tick in the margin
(indicating a bad mistake))")
[3] http://g3.spraakdata.gu.se/saob/show.phtml?filenr=1/36/38.html
(Translation of entry #2: A character similar to the latin V, which by
teachers are scrawled in the margins of the works of pupils to call
into attention a corresponding amount of errors or areas needing
attention.)

On 6 March 2014 08:50, Stephen Lee <sl-tlug@example.com> wrote:
> It's interesting, as check marks are used in Japanese classrooms for
> wrong answers as well (and circles (maru) for correct answers), versus
> check marks/Xs for correct/incorrect answers in some countries.

Swedish schools use a capital R for correct answers, but we seem to
share the ✓ for wrong answers, which is interesting. Is it a
coincidence, or have we somehow influenced each other?