Re: [tlug] l10n and icons: good example?

Benjamin Tayehanpour writes:

 > In Swedish, a check mark (✓) signifies failure, not success. We're
 > fairly used to it by now, though, but it still grinds my gears a
 > bit.

That's a really interesting example.

Maru-batsu is very Japanese.  The "shime" mark for deadlines.

Two other examples of Japanese "icon" suites are emoticons (smileys,
where even in text the Japanese have a much larger repertoire in
common use than Americans do as far as I know) and map legends
(which is a JIS standard, I believe, but American maps have no special
symbol for electric power station or onsen, and of course the Japanese
symbol for "post office" (〒) and "school" (文) are completely
unintelligible to Westerners.