Re: [tlug] l10n and icons: good example?

Thanks a lot for all the ideas!

Playstation switching the meaning of x/o is interesting,
I also got an idea on the wide range of pictograms that are
used.

On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 02:29:05PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Benjamin Tayehanpour writes:
>
>  > In Swedish, a check mark (✓) signifies failure, not success. We're
>  > fairly used to it by now, though, but it still grinds my gears a
>  > bit.

A colleague in .se was not able to confirm, maybe its a local
thing.

> Maru-batsu is very Japanese.  The "shime" mark for deadlines.
>
> Two other examples of Japanese "icon" suites are emoticons (smileys,
> where even in text the Japanese have a much larger repertoire in
> common use than Americans do as far as I know) and map legends
> (which is a JIS standard, I believe, but American maps have no special
> symbol for electric power station or onsen, and of course the Japanese
> symbol for "post office" (〒) and "school" (文) are completely
> unintelligible to Westerners.

I guess this is due to Japanese beeing used to Kanji anyway.
In Japan, using 女/男 on toilets is also leaves even less room
for wrong interpretation, than the many pictograms used for this
in the western world.

Chris