Re: [tlug] Fortran --> Python (was linux engineer)

On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 14:01:58 +0900
Edward Middleton <edward.middleton@example.com> wrote:

> I think the point Attila Kinali was making is that some people have lost
> an intellectual curiosity for the things around them and are willfully
> ignorant.  I think this is bad for peoples mental faculties and society.

It goes even beyond that. I know PhD students with no curiosity in what
they are doing at all. Just doing a job for a couple of years, that's all...

But Joe Average has not only long lost his curiosity, but also the insight
that his ability to do things well largly depends on how well he handles
his tools. And to be able to handle your tools well, you need a certain
understanding of them.

Josh, i am sure your father doesnt need to know how windows works. But
i'm quite sure he knows how his accounting tools handle the numbers he
puts in and what the numbers that come out again mean.

				Attila Kinali
use without that foundation.