Re: [tlug] Fortran --> Python (was linux engineer)

2012/6/8 Edward Middleton <edward.middleton@example.com>:

> On 06/07/2012 06:48 PM, Josh Glover wrote:
>
>> I use the subway to get to work. Should I understand how electric
>> trains work? Signalling? Tunnel construction?
>
> It will broaden your view of the world you live in.  The better question
> is how much of your world is the subway trip each day.

And your second sentence was more what I was getting at: there are
roughly a bazillion things comprising my world, and I clearly cannot
understand most of them beyond how to use them effectively.

As for broadening my worldview, sure. I think that's why we're all
here, right? Geeks want to know everything about everything. As a
geek, I respect and admire that outlook. However, I think it is a bit
much to judge people who either don't share that outlook or simply
have other priorities.

My dad is an accountant who doesn't understand the Windows system he
uses beyond how to drive his accounting tools (back in the early days
when he was running CP/M and DOS systems, that was different--he
taught me the CLI). I don't think that makes him bad at his job or
intellectually lazy. He has hobbies and grandchildren which are more
important to him than understanding how Windows works--and be honest:
is that even knowable? ;)

>> Where does the recursion end?
>
> When you die.

The final stack overflow?