Re: [tlug] Worth coming to Japan before getting a job?

Edmund Edgar writes:

 > I'm wondering if we're being too dismissive of this without knowing
 > enough about the OP's situation.

I don't think so.  It's not a question of "dismiss", it's "appropriate
caution".  Why not try the "search while employed" strategy *first*?

Also, when I was a 2d year grad student in California, my sister calls
me from New York, asking if I can spare 4 m^2 for herself, a friend
(really cute!) and two suitcases.  Well, yes, especially for Lynn, but
aren't you scheduled to go to work in Scarsdale in 8 weeks?  Yes, I
*was* ... and going on 30 years later, after an initial spell of
unemployment (about 4 months) she has continuously been a hot property
in what would become her field (newspaper editing and classified
management systems).  So I know chucking the job in the hand and
beating the bush can be done, and "very well, thank you", too.

Nevertheless, it's a different economy today, and Japan is a different
country.

 > Let's put the question the other way: Say the OP really wants to get a
 > job in Japan. What are his chances of landing one _without_ quitting
 > his current job and coming over here to look for it?

Not as good as if he quits ... but if he does get a job without
quitting it will likely be a better job.  You need to put parameters
on the quality of job.  He can probably get a job tending bar
somewhere near Todai or Waseda, and if he wants a job in Japan that
bad, yeah, he'd be better off starting his search here.

But the kinds of jobs he wants, according to his post, are recruited
at the international level anyway.  If he wants a job here that bad,
he can register with some headhunters.  They only want 10% of your
salary in perpetuity, and a mortage on your first born, but it's worth
it, right?<wink>  Etc, etc.  Sure, it may take a little longer, but
quality of life both before and after the move are likely to be
substantially higher.  Heck, in financial computing, if he doesn't
like his first job in the industry once he gets here he can use it as
a platform to move to another.  ("That ain't workin', [but] that's the
way to do it", ne?)

If I was in finance and wanted to live in Asia, I don't think I'd look
at Tokyo, anyway.  I think Hong Kong, Singpore, Shanghai, even Seoul
are probably better bets right now.  I don't see any chance that that
rabble in Nagatacho are going to get their act together any time soon
(Minister Maehara's analysis is precisely right: 1.5% of the economy
is capable of holding up the 98.5%, and not only do you have to buy
off that largely unproductive 1.5%, but you also have to save their
face by allowing them to pretend to be doing useful work).  But unless
they do, I don't think employment is going to look up for many months.