Re: [tlug] Worth coming to Japan before getting a job?

On 11/12/2010 02:58 AM, David Bower wrote:

I would love to one day work in Japan, I hold a Japanese spouse visa, so I am eligible to work. Given the current climate, would it be silly to quit my current job, to come to Japan and try to look for work?

hey ... I'd say keep your current job. You are generally more valuable looking for a job if you already have a job, and things are pretty tight out there. Also, travel to Tokyo as much as you can to get used to it (if that's ever possible) and to connect to the various international communities that are here. There are many groups here that you can get involved with via lists like tlug.jp or various social networks, and there are many events going on all over the place pretty much every week. It's a big city. I know some people who packed it all in and just moved here without a job and with very little Japanese language experience, and some are successful but most others aren't. Having a strong personal network is really recommended to grab any job in any market, but I'd say for westerners coming to Tokyo there are a few more challenges so the more people you know in your field locally the better.

Good luck. :)

Jim