Re: [tlug] google ditching windows and going for open source software

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 1:25 AM, Nguyen Vu Hung <vuhung16plus@example.com> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 10:58 PM, Ai Ling <alchow@example.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 12:50 AM, Nguyen Vu Hung <vuhung16plus@example.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Btw, only ONE Windows machine in the company has Office installed.
>> If someone wants to edit a .doc file, one can remote to that machine,
>> but we avoid it as much as we can.
>
> As a user I would be very vocal in expressing my displeasure, especially
> when OOo lets you edit and save in DOC format...
Customers are kings!

Unfortunately true.  ^_~  Personally, though, I am mindful of how much technological know-how is required to make sure _I_ get to do things smoothly without having to worry about whether it will work.  My philosophy when talking to tech people: "As long as it doesn't interrupt my workflow and I won't be able to tell the difference, do whatever you think is best.  If it DOES affect my workflow in any way, I want to know about it and I want a say."  My fiance says some people just "get it" when it comes to the inner workings of tech.  Some people can try, and maybe they can understand the big picture issues, but they just won't be able to ever do it themselves.  He is in the former camp; I am in the latter.

That machine is and emergency exit for those who has to *edit* MS format files.

Trust me, no company can eliminate MS Office 100%.

With Office Live is it possible?  I assume the free account will let most people do pretty much anything they need to do...

Then again, Google Docs lets most people do pretty much anything they need to do, too.

--
Ai Ling Chow | alchow@example.com