Re: [tlug] google ditching windows and going for open source software

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 10:56 PM, Michael Bitker <mbitker@example.com> wrote:
> That would be great, but Google is really in a position where they don't have
> clients with data formats they need to accommodate. This is a major factor
> for a lot of companies.
Google switches from M$ Office to their clouds. It is good for Google
but not other companies because it is just replacing a closed source
software to a closed source cloud software while keep much the format
open and interchangeable.

Is google doc good enough?

> Nobody wants to have to pay MS for their office suite,
> but Open Office's MS Office compatibility just isn't perfect enough, especially
> Calc in my experience. It constantly breaks formatting, and hangs on large
> files/files with Japanese fonts.

My concerns are

1. Formatting is broken when opening a .doc(x) file in OOo
2. Calc does not support some functions (and VBA) in Excel.

Well, the rules are:

a. Keep the existing MS files as they are.
b. Newly created files must be created with OOo in ODF formats.

HTH

--
Best Regards,
Nguyen Hung Vu [aka: NVH] ( in Vietnamese: Nguyễn Vũ Hưng )