[tlug] Where to buy a laptop (was: Is it the hardware or the software...)

TLUG,

Well, I think it's the hardware. As of today, my laptop is going freaking nuts, and I can barely keep it on long enough to do any kind of diagnostics.

The real hassle is that I don't really want to go through all the bother of shopping for another laptop. If I had money to burn, I'd just get the latest Panasonic Let's Note, but it's 200,000 yen, and comes with an inexplicably stupid handle on it. Who carries a laptop around just naked, without a case?

Instead, I'm looking for 40,000 yen if I can, and up to 60,000 yen if I feel it's a really worthy laptop.

So I'm probably looking for a used laptop, or low end new.

What's annoying me is that most laptops these days seem to be offering this stupid "wide screen" format (1366×768 resolution), which really just means lots of screen real estate trimmed from the top or bottom. Like this one:

http://www.dospara.co.jp/5goods_pc/pc_detail.php?h=d&f=d&m=pc&mc=1210&a=1

It's a nice shape and reasonable price for the specs, but don't let the picture on the web site fool you. I looked at one live in person, and there's a lot of frame around the screen.

Or, if they don't have the minimized screen, they have the huge keyboard with the number pad on the right, making the whole laptop huge and heavy.

It just seems that it's hard to get a combination of decent screen and still portable these days. The Panasonic Let's note series offers the best balance, IMHO, they're just freaking expensive.

Anyway, I'm just kind of thinking aloud, but if anyone has any suggestions for where to get a laptop, please share your knowledge. I'm probably going to spending a day this weekend wandering around Akihabara, considering both used and new.

--
Dave M G