Re: [tlug] [OT] Job hunting

On Thu, 2009-09-24 at 18:01 -0400, Joe Larabell wrote:
> > Yep, and when immigration take over registration, if you don't have a
> > health insurance card your application for visa renewal will be
> > rejected...
>
> I suppose that makes sense, since the health care system probably won't
> turn you away when you get hit by a bus, even if you haven't paid into the
> system.
>
> Don't the health premiums (taxes, if you will) depend on your *previous*
> year's income? If so, someone just coming over won't have all that much to
> worry about for at least a year.

I have had zero income for the last couple of years (Spouse visa) so
it's kind of hard to cough up what I don't have. I've also read that
a lot of young Japanese couples have defaulted on payments because
they just can't afford it. Makes sense to penalise the gaijin to
make up for the shortfall :-) Or another way to get 'em out...