Re: [tlug] See USB drive over network [SOLVED]

John, TLUG,

After poking around I finally realized that the my firewall on the serving machine was blocking the SSH connection. So I opened up Firestarter and allowed the client machine access. I also used the instructions from another thread to make SSH connections between the two computers without a password.

Wow, this is pretty cool. The Amarok device configuration dialogue allows you to enter the mount command when connecting to the device, so everything is done automatically now within Amarok. I click "connect to device" it calls sshfs to mount the drive over the network, and everything flows after that. And when I disconnect the device, I have the unmount command in there too. Sweet.

The only potential "gotcha" that might bite me is that right now I have the command within Amarok to look for the device in /media/disk-2. The last dozen times I mounted it, it kept coming up as disk-2, so maybe that's what it thinks it is...?

If it turns out that it names it something else sometimes, like Disk-1 or Disk-3, I may have to explore how to fix the naming.

But for now, this is one of those moments where I'm appreciating how sweet Linux can be. I'm copying my playlist to my mobile phone from over the network... awesome.

Thanks for all your help and advice!

--
Dave M G
http://tlug.jp/mediawiki/index.php?title=User:Dave_M_G