[tlug] See USB drive over network

TLUG,

In light of recent USB troubles that I put in another thread, I thought a different solution might also be worth considering.

What I would like to do is connect my Android phone to one computer, and then be able to mount it in Amarok as a removable device from another computer, where Amarok and all my music files are.

I thought this should be easy enough. Edit /etc/fstab on the Amarok machine so it can see the USB machine. Edit the /etc/exports on the USB machine so the right directory is visible on the network. Restart NFS, and Robert is your mother's brother.

In the Amarok machine's /etc/fstab:
192.168.0.2:/media /home/media/homebase_media nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr

In the USB machine's /etc/exports:
/media 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(rw,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check)

Not so easy, as it turns out. I keep getting a "mount.nfs: mount system call failed" error when I try "sudo mount -a" after making the edits. I think two problems are sinking me.

One is that the /media directory where the Android gets automagically mounted requires root permissions to modify or access, so I think mounting any subdirectories there is probably not good.

The other is that the directory in /media that represents the Android comes and goes, and might have different names each time ("disk-1", "disk-2", and so on) depending on if I've recently mounted another USB device.

And, of course, there are probably other issues I'm not aware of.

So... how do I get my Android to mount in a place with a consistent name that I can access over the LAN so that Amarok can see the directory when I plug in the device?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

--
Dave M G
http://tlug.jp/mediawiki/index.php?title=User:Dave_M_G