Re: [tlug] See USB drive over network

Hi Dave

Dave M G wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong. In a simple way what you want to do is:
1. mount a NFS and share the folder where your usb device is mounted.
2. you want to plug and unplug it whenever you want and automatically
update NFS configuration?
3. If another machine access that volume it will find your music files in
there when it's mounted and no files when it's unmounted or you want that
after unmount the device the NFS volume be unregistered also?
I think that sounds about right. On point three, either way is acceptable.

Is it possible?

Yes.

However, it is 2009. Consider an alternative to NFS. For example one of the many SSH filesystems.

Roughly

apt-get install sshfs
sshfs user@example.com:/mnt/ipod /mnt/ipod

http://debaday.debian.net/2007/04/22/sshfs-easy-and-secure-access-to-a-remote-file-system/