Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [tlug] Pretty Japanese fonts?
- Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 15:42:57 +0900
- From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [tlug] Pretty Japanese fonts?
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20090227084905.GF6449@example.com> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <49B86E23.firstname.lastname@example.org> <4A07A439.email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <4A0A49A8.email@example.com>
John Fremlin writes: > One slightly strange thing is in its list of reasons for the paucity of > free Japanese fonts. > > 3. Font authors don't want to see their fonts on adult sites. > So they don't want to make it free (GPL etc). > > Is this a real reason? Sure. It makes me sick when I Google for "Created by XEmacs" and see a few porn and occasionally neonazi sites in the list. I'm antinazi and antiporn *because* I'm libertarian, though, so I stick to first principles and bear with the nausea. I'd be even less happy to participate *directly* in the presentation via a font or image, etc. I think I'd stop Googling, though, not use a restrictive license. ISTR that there was a well-known imaging software (I don't think it's POVray, but somehow that sticks in my mind) that had a restriction against use in weapons development before they switched to a free license. Same form, different principle behind restriction, that's all. Footnotes:  Not that I'm against restrictive licenses if I -- or you -- get money from them. But using a restrictive license just to spite people who are harming freedom seems self-defeating to me.
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: Re: [tlug] Tokyo key signing party 2009
- Next by Date: Re: [tlug] Tokyo key signing party 2009
- Previous by thread: Re: [tlug] Pretty Japanese fonts?
- Next by thread: Re: [tlug] Pretty Japanese fonts?
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links