Re: [tlug] About to break down and get an iPhone

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 13:48, Martin Killmann <martin@example.com> wrote:
> If you're used to normal "advanced" Japanese cell phones, the iPhone is
> a step forward. Some pamphlet claimed that my old Sharp was able to play
> music but all attempts to convince it to play an mp3 failed. It didn't
> come with earplugs or USB connector either. Exporting the address book
> from it was a PITA. And don't attempt to load a normal webpage on it.

depends what you undestand. I do way more things with my japanese
mobile phone that I could ever do with an iPhone. But that is just
personal usage style.

> The achievement of the iPhone is that it did introduce "modern
> smartphones" to many Japanese customers who never new that cell phones
> could display normal web pages, do GPS, or load custom applications.
> Before that, Blackberry, HTC Touch, Nokia Smartphones etc. were largely
> ignored by Japanese telcos and consumers. So even if you don't get an
> iPhone, you profit, because it helped to bring many of its competitors
> to Japan.

well, iApplis existed way before iPhone, and GPS was available on the
AU phones around 7 years ago. The current google maps application for
my japanese phone is actually better than the one on the iPhone. It
evenc an do street view.

But I think most people who are foreigners see the mobile phone usage
different than the japanese people. The more you start using your
phone like japanese people do, the less interesting the iPhone gets.

(again this is just my personal view).

--
Clemens Schwaighofer
gullevek@example.com / gullevek@example.com