Re: [tlug] About to break down and get an iPhone

On Sun, May 03, 2009 at 01:57:48AM +0900, Dave M G wrote:

> My question to the group is if there is a good reason I should *not* get
> an iPhone. Any reason at all. I've been rooting for some kind of open
> source alternative to come along for ages now, but I just don't see it
> happening. Am I wrong? Is there a better option than the iPhone? Is
> there some flaw (like will I not be able to transfer files from my
> Ubuntu machine to the iPhone?) that I'm not considering?

I can understand your thoughts well and agree; Apple binding
and restricting customers in unpleasant ways - and nontheless
having anyone running for their products.

I can at least contribute to the Androids since one or two
of those are out since some time here in germany.
The current Android keiteis of first generation really en-
courage people to get google-accounts, not sure on how well
they are usable without one.

The other thing people like the iphone for is snappiness;
ease of use, having the applications to react fastly to users
commands.  Also its been more than a year since release of the
first iphone and thus rising the bar to a new level, the
Android phones are yet nicely to use but no match for the
iphone.
Maybe with the next Android release, or maybe this would need
more than just other software.

Using a nokia e90 i was also really waiting for Android, and
will keep waiting for some time more i guess.

Christian