Re: [tlug] STM (was: Re: work times & accommodation @tokyo)

On 2008-07-27 12:04 +0200 (Sun), Attila Kinali wrote:

> Does STM work in real world applications?

I can see no reason why it wouldn't. Keep in mind, it's not very
different from standard locking that most threaded applications are
using already; STM in combination with other things in Haskell just
allows you to easily compose your locking primitives and type-check
their composition.

In other words:

> ...our programming languages today have a very bad abstraction of
> concurency and that the solution lies in the programming language
> rather then in a new way of locking.

STM in Haskell is purely a programming language solution to making an
existing method of locking work better, and that is generally why I use
it as an example of how some languages can be more powerful than others.

When it comes to changing an application so that it doesn't need
locking (or needs significantly less locking), well, that's generally a
complete application redesign, and not really anything to do with your
programming langauge at all.

cjs