Re: work times & accommodation @tokyo, WAS: Re: [tlug] Embedded linux dev wanting to find work in Tokyo.. Seeking advice.

jim grisanzio writes:

 > I appreciate an individual's desire for perfection. I see that here more
 > than I see it in the U.S. --

Sure, but what is the standard of perfection?  And what is the
motivation?  The kaizen process of many Japanese manufacturers is very
effective, but is that the result of individuals' desire for perfection?

 > and as a result many products and services are significantly better
 > here than anywhere in the world.

That's not always a good thing, as Richard Gabriel showed in "Worse Is
Better."  And my personal experience of Japanese medical and dental
services, at least, has been frightening.  Which is corroborated by
stories I hear from Japanese doctors and social science researchers
who study them.

I too thought I would learn something about the search for quality, or
even perfection, when I came to Japan.  Over 18 years later, I must
admit to being rather disappointed.  There are a few narrow enclaves
(export-oriented manufactures, traditional arts) where perfection is
pursued for its own sake, but I'm not sure what they have to teach the
West that we haven't already made a good start on learning.  As for
the rest of the economy, it is no better than the U.S., and often much
worse.

 > However, that's not necessarily the whole story, especially the
 > global economy we are experiencing now. The Innovator's Dilemma
 > (still scariest book around) demonstrates clearly that a product
 > can be too good and therefor cause the direct collapse of a company
 > from competitors whose products are just good enough and manages
 > miss this consistently.

That's not what The Innovator's Dilemma say, and The Innovator's
Solution makes this quite clear.  The "innovator's dilemma" arises not
when a product is too good.  Rather, when its performance/price ratio
is low compared to rival technologies, but it has been protected by an
absolute performance requirement previously not met by the rivals.

 > So, you ask about how you get around convincing top management. Well,
 > what are the results? You have the best product? Your sales are growing?
 > Your customers, employees, and shareholders are happy? Cool. :)

If you enjoy roller coasters, yes, very cool, because that's precisely
when the innovator's dilemma tends to show up.