Re: [tlug] STM (was: Re: work times & accommodation @tokyo)

On 2008-07-28 02:44 +0900 (Mon), Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Of course it does, if you pick the right applications.  That's my
> point, though, knowing which applications and how to factor them to use
> STM effectively is probably equivalent to the general concurrency
> problem at the present time.

I'm not saying that STM in Haskell will apply to any particular problem
better than it would any other language. I'm pointing out that in
situations where it does apply (which is a pretty fair number of
situations, actually, including the majority of what one might call
"your average threaded applications"), the Haskell solution will be
developed more quickly and will have far fewer locking-related bugs.
This is due to having a powerful type checking system and the ability to
easily build combinators and type check their use.

cjs