Re: [tlug] VNC, secure or better options?

Curt, Scott, Christian,

Thanks for replying

Curt said:
... you might
want to consider just ssh'ing into the machine with X11 forwarding
enabled, and running the program directly.

Sweet! I figured out how to get SSH enabled with X11 forwarding, and it it runs very smoothly. Very cool.

I'm wondering if there's a way I can tighten up the process. Right now I run the command:

$ ssh -X username@example.com

Which then asks for a password. And then when I'm logged in I run:

$ amarok

I wanted to try to bundle everything up so I could just run one command to start up Amarok, but I learned that I had to configure SSH to allow for logins without passwords.

I found this page:
http://www.astro.caltech.edu/~mbonati/WIRC/manual/DATARED/setting_up_no-password_ssh.html

... and dutifully followed the instructions.

But SSH still asks for a password. I think this is because I'm logged in as "dave" on my client machine, but I want to log in as "media" when I connect to the server machine.

I may be wrong about what the problem is, but how do I set the key up so that it's got the right user name as well as the password?

--
Dave M G
http://www.tlug.jp/wiki/User:Dave_M_G