Re: [tlug] VNC, secure or better options?

On Wednesday July 2 2008 09:16, Dave M G wrote:
>I'm wondering if there's a way I can tighten up the process. Right now
> I run the command:
>$ ssh -X username@example.com
>Which then asks for a password. And then when I'm logged in I run:
>$ amarok

Try this, it should work regardless of if you have passwordless login
set up correctly yet (of course if you don't, you'll be prompted for a
password):

$ ssh -X username@example.com amarok

>I found this page:
>http://www.astro.caltech.edu/~mbonati/WIRC/manual/DATARED/setting_up_n
>o-password_ssh.html

Those instructions look dangerous to me because they overwrite
~user/.ssh/id_dsa.pub on the remote machine. But, if you don't care
about that file, then i think they'll work. SSH is a bit fussy about
permissions sometimes; on my machines i usually set the ~/.ssh
directory chmod 700 and the authorized_keys file chmod 600. As has been
suggested, you can also try using authorized_keys2 instead of
authorized_keys; some versions of SSH are configured to use separate
files depending on which SSH protocol version is in use.

>But SSH still asks for a password. I think this is because I'm logged
> in as "dave" on my client machine, but I want to log in as "media"
> when I connect to the server machine.

That shouldn't matter. Either specify "media" with "ssh media@example.com" or
by putting it in your ~/.ssh/config file.