Re: [tlug] VNC, secure or better options?

Dave M G wrote:

I found this page:
http://www.astro.caltech.edu/~mbonati/WIRC/manual/DATARED/setting_up_no-password_ssh.html ... and dutifully followed the instructions.

But SSH still asks for a password. I think this is because I'm logged in as "dave" on my client machine, but I want to log in as "media" when I connect to the server machine.

This should work. It's how I configured my system. I also have these set in /etc/ssh_config.
< ForwardX11 yes
< ForwardX11Trusted yes
I think the X11Trusted is associated with loging you in without prompting for a password but am not sure.

the ForwardX11 set allows you to forward your display info without using the -X flag.

ssh machine
logs the current user in as himself on machine, assuming that is possible.
ssh user@example.com
allows you to log in as a different user on machine.

user@example.com should demand a password since it's like loging in as a different user.

I used http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.2-Manual/custom-guide/openssh-clients.html
when setting up my ssh client and host.

Good Luck!