Re: [tlug] [Was: iptables] Forward multicats

On 2008-06-15 06:45 +0900 (Sun), Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Curt Sampson writes:
>
>  > However, the above addresses are multicast addresses, and thus all
>  > computers see them (assuming that they're running software that's
>  > listening).
>
> I don't much like that way of expressing it.  I would say on an
> Ethernet all computers see all messages (that's why it's called an
> "ether").

I'll get into the rest of the thread later, but this is important.

That every computer will see every packet is a very, very poor
assumption to make. Most every "Ethernet concentrator" (to use the old
term) is a switch these days, and your computer won't see anything that
the switch doesn't know it should forward to you. Even before this,
there was always the possibility of bridging.

cjs