[tlug] Re: [Was: iptables] Forward multicats

> As I wrote before, I have a Terastation linkes to my computer. That one
> is wifi linked to my other computers, and to the internet.
> The "Buffalo terastation" is sending messages (what I see from Wireshark):
>
> To: 228.5.6.7 (port 9442, UDP)
> To: 239.255.255.0 (port 1900, UDP)
>
> I would like to my second computer to see these messages.
> As I did put a masquerade rule (LAN is wifi, DSK is Terastation)
>   iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -o ${LAN_PORT} -s ${DSK_NET} -j MASQUERADE
> I would expect my other computers on the wifi network to receive the
> messages...

Just to compile the solutions (and my final remarks), I can find:

1) Use Bridging
   Cons: I have to change my wifi card (to support promiscuous mode)
   Pros: Can change to a newer kernel; basic setting

2) Use normal routing
    Cons: I have to change my wifi router
    Pros: Basic settings

3) True NAT
    Cons: Possible, but very difficult (no answer at all there)
    Pros: Nothing to buy. Just system setup.

Then, I guess I will stick on trying (3) some time, and come back to
my first choice (1)
when I can find a good wifi card fully supported by the latest kernels...

Thanks a lot for your answers,

Bruno.

--
2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2.