Re: [tlug] NEWBIE: My Way and NOT Their Way?

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 1:33 PM, CL <az.4tlug@example.com> wrote:
/../
>  I've tried uninstalling with apt-get and adept using the "completely
> remove" and "purge" functions.

That seems reasonable.

> I then did an apt-get install and got both Iceweasel and Icedove back.

apt-get install requires an argument, and if you gave iceweasel and
icedove as arguments you will get them back.

In the event that you did something else than you wrote, don't do
upgrades of the system if you don't want them---you'll have to do
individual package upgrades, or learn how to use the apt configuration
files to exclude certain packages from upgrades.

> So I removed them again and downloaded the
> tar.gz versions of Firefox and Thunderbird, created .deb files according to
> the Debian Reference and APT How-to docs and installed them ... and seem to
> have Iceweasel and Icedove yet again.

This does not make sense to me. I install FF all the time from tar.gz
and into a separate location from where Iceweasel would go and have
both FF (from me) and Iceweasel (from the distribution).

Relax :-) Someone will take pity on you!
Gernot