[tlug] NEWBIE: My Way and NOT Their Way?

CL writes:

 > I've tried uninstalling with apt-get and adept using the "completely
 > remove" and "purge" functions.  I then did an apt-get install and got
 > both Iceweasel and Icedove back.  So I removed them again and downloaded
 > the tar.gz versions of Firefox and Thunderbird, created .deb files
 > according to the Debian Reference and APT How-to docs and installed them
 > ... and seem to have Iceweasel and Icedove yet again.

Something else you have apparently depends on those.  What you need to
do is find out what the Icky packages provide that is being required,
make your FF and TB provide them, force-uninstall the Icky packages,
then install FF and TB.  And you should be good to go.

If you can't figure out any other way, a way that should work is to go
into aptitude, then request removal of the Icky packages.  This should
light the display up all red, and you can follow the links to find out
why.